I think about my skin and my complexion all year round, but in January, it becomes a real focus for me. I think it’s the post-Christmas dull skin, combined with the freshness of the new year that really makes me rethink what I am using on my skin, and how it could look better.
I like to keep my beauty routine to a minimum, because when I’m busy, I don’t want to feel like I’m neglecting my skin. That means that I pay particular attention to what I eat and drink. I try and keep sugary drinks to an absolute minimum, and keep myself hydrated with lots of green tea, peppermint tea and water. As I get older, this has become more important, with late nights and a bad diet really showing up on my skin.
In the last few months, I have been using these products, and they are all simple to use, basic essentials which keep my skin glowing!
1. Angels on Bare Skin– Lush. This is a wonder product that a friend recommended to me. I use it on my face 3 times a week, and it clears off any dead skin cells, leaving my skin noticeably clear and clean, without that tight feeling. It does have a slightly strange texture when you first use it, but trust me, it’s a miracle worker!
2. Original Skin Cleansing Make Up Remover Jelly- Origins. A gentle cleanser that takes off all traces of make up in the evening, leaving my skin clean and dewy. It glides on like a dream, and after I have removed it with a muslin, my skin feels fresh and ready for my moisturiser.
3. Drink Up Intensive Night Time Mask– Origins. This overnight mask smells amazing and instantly hydrates my skin. I apply it in lieu of my moisturiser 3 times a week, and/ or whenever I feel that my skin needs that extra boost. It plumps my skin, brightens my complexion and makes my face the perfect base for make up the following morning.
4. Rose Water– KTC. Rose water is having a bit of a moment, and rightly so! It’s anti-infammatory, soothes the skin, and has anti-bacterial properties which prevent break outs. In the summer, I find that rose water helps cool my skin down, and in the winter, it has a calming effect on any redness caused by the cold and heating. I use it after cleansing, morning and evening. Oh and it smells fantastic, and might be the cheapest, and yet most effective, product I have used.
5. Lip Treatment in Candy– Fresh. Hands down the best lip balm I have used, and I have used A LOT. It keeps my lips plump and hydrated, and I don’t need to keep reapplying, as a hint of colour stays on for hours. It smooths out fine lines and has SPF. An absolute must-have.
6. Kind To Skin+ Protecting Moisture Cream SPF 30- Simple. A fragrance-free cream designed to protect and moisturise sensitive skin, and it has SPF, so it saves me adding an extra layer of product. I love this cream because it leaves my face soft and smooth all day long, without the oily finish that some heavy moisturisers leave behind. It’s the perfect base for make up.
7. Micellar Water– Garnier. A cult product. I use this micellar water twice a day after my regular cleansers and before the rose water. It ensures that my face is totally clear of all traces of make up, dirt and cleanser, so that I can start and end my day with completely clean skin that doesn’t dry out. I also use it to clean up make up mishaps, so that I don’t need to start over.
8. Camomile Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover– The Body Shop. An essential product to keep in my bathroom cabinet, this eye make up remover is the best I have found. It doesn’t irritate my eyes, yet cleans away all traces of waterproof eyeliner, mascara and glitter eyeshadow in a couple of sweeps. Plus is makes my lashes super soft. Tip: I also use this to remove eyebrow pencil, and it works wonders to keep my brows looking soft.
9. Full Dry Volume Blast– Living Proof. So, here’s a confession- I don’t wash my hair every day, but I love having that freshly blow dried volume running through my tresses. It was a conundrum, until I discovered this beauty. I spritz this through my hair, wherever I want volume, and it gives it an instant boost for the whole day, without the usual stickiness you get from volume/ texture sprays. It also smells AMAZING. Well worth the money, and a little goes a long way.
10. Honey and Grapeseed Hand Cream– Burt’s Bees. A rich and indulgent hand cream that smooths over any dryness, leaving my hands soft and moisturised, without that greasy residue. This mini-size is a handbag essential, especially as it also works wonders on my dry cuticles.
Let me know if you’ve tried any of these. I’d love to know what your skin must-haves are!