Today, as I sat contemplating the freezing weather, I started to think about food that I find comforting, and warming. The usual suspects came to mind: soup, khitchdi (an indian lentil-rice dish oozing with butter) and mashed potato. Whilst I love all of the above, they don’t remind me of home, and my childhood, anywhere near as much as chilli cheese toast. We used to have those as a snack, or as dinner, when we wanted something quick , yummy and spicy.
Today, I mixed it up a little and made a chilli cheese panini with a side of vegan coleslaw (seriously, the vegan mayo tastes *way* better than the regular Hellman’s).
Chilli Cheese Panini with Home Made Coleslaw
Easy, crisp paninis, full of flavour
- 120g carrots, peeled and grated
- 180g reg cabbage, shredded
- 25g white onion, thinly sliced
- 100g mayonnaise (I used vegan, but any store bought mayo will do the same job)
- Dried chives, salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 fresh paninis
- Chedder cheese
- Green birdseye chillies
- Sriracha sauce
- Olive oil
- To make the coleslaw, combine all of the ingredients, except the herbs and spices, in a large bowl, and mix thoroughly
- Add the chives, salt and pepper to taste
- Next, heat up your sandwich toaster/ grill. I used a George Foreman grill
- Slice the panini in half, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add the cheese, sweetcorn and chillies to one half only
- Drizzle with sriracha sauce
- Close the panini and press inside the sandwich toaster/ grill for 3-5 minutes until crispy, and the cheese has melted
- Slice and serve hot with the coleslaw