Today, as I sat contemplating the freezing weather, I started to think about food that I find comforting, and warming. The usual suspects came to mind: soup, khitchdi (an indian lentil-rice dish oozing with butter) and mashed potato. Whilst I love all of the above, they don’t remind me of home, and my childhood, anywhere near as much as chilli cheese toast. We used to have those as a snack, or as dinner, when we wanted something quick , yummy and spicy.
Today, I mixed it up a little and made a chilli cheese panini with a side of vegan coleslaw (seriously, the vegan mayo tastes *way* better than the regular Hellman’s).
CHILLI CHEESE PANINI WITH COLESLAW
Prep: 10 mins/ Cook: 10 mins/ Total: 20 mins/ Serves 2
120g carrots, peeled and grated
180g reg cabbage, shredded
25g white onion, thinly sliced
100g mayonnaise (I used vegan, but any store bought mayo will do the same job)
Dried chives, salt and pepper, to taste
2 fresh paninis
Green birdseye chillies
- To make the coleslaw, combine all of the ingredients, except the herbs and spices, in a large bowl, and mix thoroughly
- Add the chives, salt and pepper to taste
- Next, heat up your sandwich toaster/ grill. I used a George Foreman grill
- Slice the panini in half, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add the cheese, sweetcorn and chillies to one half only
- Drizzle with sriracha sauce
- Close the panini and press inside the sandwich toaster/ grill for 3-5 minutes until crispy, and the cheese has melted
- Slice and serve hot with the coleslaw