Noodles. I. Love. Them. Easy to whip up when you’re busy, with very little prep and even less washing up when you’re done. What’s not to love?
This recipe for Chilli, Ginger and Sesame Udon is dairy-free, simple and packed full of flavour, but the best part is, you can eat a hot, satisfying meal perfect for the frosty months, in under 15 minutes.
This recipe makes enough for 2 if you want a light meal, and a larger meal for 1.
Prep: 5 mins/ Cook: 10 mins/ Total: 15 mins/ Serves 2
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 heaped tbsp grated ginger
1 red jalepeno, chopped
1 pack pre-cooked udon noodles (serve 2)
1tbsp tamari soy sauce
1tbsp hoisin sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
Lime wedges and sesame seeds to serve (optional)
- Heat the vegetable oil in large frying pan
- Add the grated ginger and chopped jalepeno and cook for 2 minutes, whilst stirring, on a medium heat
- Add the udon noodles and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes
- When noodles are coated in oil and hot, add the tamari soy sauce, hoisin sauce and 1/2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- Stir and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the noodles are piping hot
- Remove from the heat and serve, topped with a sprinkling of sesame and a wedge of lime
I prefer to grate the ginger, as I like the sharp taste, but you could also puree ginger in a food processor before using
Add extra chilli if you prefer a spicier noodle dish
You can use other noodles (ribbon, rice etc), but udon noodles really add heartiness to this dish