Being at home in quarantine has made all of us stop, pause and think. We’ve been forced to slow down and look at what we enjoy doing, watching, eating and drinking. Before all of this, I would make myself a quick iced drink with soya milk poured over pre-frozen coffee cubes; it was fast, easy and gave me my much-needed caffeine fix and a refreshing drink all in one tumbler.
Since March, I have looked for ways to up-level the everyday, whether it’s taking a more scenic walk during my government-sanctioned outdoor exercise time, spicing up my Maggi noodles or turning my coffee in to an event to savour, rather than a drink to be drunk without being tasted. Taking the time to do everyday things slowly has helped me see that I don’t always need to rush; it’s refreshing and luxurious to enjoy the present moment.
Over the past few weeks, I have seen this fluffy Dalgona coffee from South Korea all over You Tube and my Instagram feed. Inspired by this video from The Cooking Foodie, I decided to try my hand at whipping up this pretty caffeinated drink.
My first attempt at making it was using a hand whisk, and it took 17 minutes of constant whisking to get that meringue-type consistency. Despite my sore arm, it was oh so worth it; I could taste the time and love that had gone in to making the coffee, and it was wonderfully therapeutic to see the transformation. The second time I made it using the electric whisk; it only took at couple of minutes, and still tasted deliciously soft and creamy (but I much preferred the longer process of hand whisking.)
A couple of tips:
- This makes a really strong coffee, so savour it in the morning or early afternoon
- I made mine with soya milk, but you can use any milk. Almond and hazelnut would work really well.
So, if you, too are looking for ways to make your every day wonderful, whip this up and let me know what you think. There are a few habits I have picked up over this time which I am going to weave in to my new normal, and making a hand-crafted coffee and savouring it is definitely one of them.
For the slow days when you feel like a special coffee
- 2 tbsp instant coffee (I used Nescafe Gold Blend)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Ice cubes
- Milk of your choice
1. Mix the coffee, sugar and water in a bowl and whisk by hand or with an electric whisk until the mixture is thick and creamy with a meringue-like consistency
2. Pour the milk of your choice over ice cubes in a tumbler, filling up 3/4 of the glass
3. Spoon the coffee over the top.
4. Stir and enjoy!